Next scheduled presidential debate between Trump and Biden has been canceled, according to reports

  • The next presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden was scrapped, The Wall Street Journal and CNN reported Friday.
  • The Commission on Presidential Debates canceled the upcoming debate, scheduled for October 15, which was changed from an in-person town hall to a virtual meeting, according to reports.
  • The decision was made after Trump and several other people in the White House tested positive for COVID-19 last week.
  • The president said he would not participate in a virtual event and asked that the event be in-person, but the commission denied the request.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

The next presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden was scrapped, several news outlets reported Friday.

The Commission on Presidential Debates canceled the upcoming debate, scheduled for Thursday, October 15, which was changed from an in-person town hall to a virtual meeting after Trump and several other people in the White House tested positive for COVID-19 last week.

Earlier this week, the president said he would not participate in a virtual event and asked that the event be in-person, but the commission denied the request. The two campaigns have sparred over the format of the upcoming debate since the commission announced the shift to a virtual event on Thursday.

The Trump campaign went on to book several events in the coming weeks, though the president still has yet to release a negative COVID-19 test since his diagnosis last week. White House physician Dr. Sean Conley issued a statement Thursday evening, saying that Trump would be able to host public events again by this weekend.

The Biden campaign agreed to the virtual format, but after Trump said he would not participate, the campaign also booked a town hall with ABC News the same day as the proposed virtual debate, CNN reported.

Another debate, which would have been the third meet-up between the candidates, is still set for October 22 in Nashville, The Washington Post reported. According to The Post report, the Trump campaign requested an additional debate for October 29, which has not been approved by the commission.

This story is breaking. Check back for more details.

Source: Read Full Article