The best credit cards for earning rewards on dining, whether you're eating out or ordering in
This article is brought to you by the Personal Finance Insider team. It has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the issuers listed. Some of the offers you see on the page are from our partners like Citi and American Express, but our coverage is always independent. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page.
The best credit cards for earning rewards on dining:
- 4x points at restaurants worldwide: American Express® Gold Card
- DoorDash perks and 3x points on dining: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- 2x points on all dining: Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- 4% cash back on all dining: Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- 3% cash back on dining: Chase Freedom Flex℠ and Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- 5x points on dining: Citi Prestige® Card
- 3x points on eating out and ordering in: Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
Eating out can add up, but the good news is that it's easier than ever to earn bonus credit card rewards on your spending.
Dining rewards shouldn't be the only factor you consider when picking a card; other factors like the welcome bonus, annual fee, and redemption flexibility should also be on your priority list. But when two cards offer similar features, a better earnings potential on dining (or other bonus categories), can tip the scales.
With that in mind, here are the credit cards for maximizing your rewards on dining, whether you're enjoying a nice meal out or ordering in through a service like GrubHub or Seamless.
We're focused here on the rewards and perks that come with each card. These cards won't be worth it if you're paying interest or late fees. When using a credit card, it's important to pay your balance in full each month, make payments on time, and only spend what you can afford to pay.
American Express® Gold Card
American Express® Gold Card
14.99%–23.74% variable APR
Good to Excellent
$200 after spending $500 in the first three months from account opening
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase, 3% on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1.5% on all other purchases.
- No annual fee
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases, then a variable APR of 14.99 – 23.74%.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Solid flat cash-back rate
- You can combine cash-back rewards with Ultimate Rewards points if you have an eligible card
- No annual fee
- Some other cards offer a higher rate of cash back on certain types of purchases
Like the Chase Freedom Flex℠, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® now earns 3% cash back on dining purchases, with no cap on how much you can earn. This card has no annual fee, either, and it's featuring the same sign-up bonus that can get you 5% cash back on eligible grocery purchases (on up to $12,000 spent in your first year, excluding Target and Walmart purchases).
If you're not sure which of these two cards is a better fit for you, read our in-depth comparison of the Chase Freedom Flex and Chase Freedom Unlimited.
Citi Prestige® Card
Out of all the cards on our list, the Citi Prestige Card offers the highest rewards rate for dining out — 5x points. You'll also earn 5x points on air travel and 3x points on hotels and cruise lines.
While the bonus categories are great, it's important to point out that this card does come with a hefty $495 annual fee.
You should probably only choose the Citi Prestige Card if you can take full advantage of its numerous travel benefits like its complimentary 4th-night hotel stay, $250 annual travel credit, and VIP lounge access at airports.
Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card
If you're looking to avoid an annual fee, the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card offers amazing value. It gives 3x points on a wide variety of bonus categories including dining, transportation, hotels and homestays, and many streaming services.
Another great thing about the Wells Fargo Propel American Express® card is that takeout purchases earn the same 3x rewards rate as other restaurant purchases. And if you want to redeem your points towards air travel, there are no blackout dates when you book through Go Far Rewards.
Source: Read Full Article