Top US infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci calls some of Fox News' prime time coverage of the coronavirus 'outlandish'
- Top US infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said he feels that some of Fox News' coverage of the coronavirus pandemic is "outlandish," CNN reported Tuesday.
- Fauci, who serves on the White House coronavirus task force, made the comment to CNN's Brian Stelter in a Monday interview.
- He said media reports during the coronavirus pandemic differ in that some news outlets deliver "opposing perspectives on what seems to be a pretty obvious fact or a body of data," specifically pointing out Fox News, CNN reported.
- "There are reporters who really, you know, do a great job. And even Fox, even on the Fox channels, there are some that are really, really good that I totally respect," Fauci told Stelter.
- "But there are others that just, you know, anything that I would say they'll distort a bit," he continued. "And I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that."
- The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases also expressed concern about misinformation about the virus being heard by President Donald Trump and the rest of the American public, according to the CNN report.
- The health expert clarified the importance of health safety precautions that people can take amid the pandemic, including wearing masks, "keeping distance, avoiding crowds, washing hands, doing things outdoors much more than indoors."
- "All of that is a combination of prevention modalities that are easy to do," he added.
- Fauci emphasized the importance of health officials putting out "a consistent message as often as you possibly can because there is so much misinformation during this very divisive time that we're in."
- "The public really needs to know the facts in going through this extraordinary experience that we're all going through," Fauci said.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you’d like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email [email protected] and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
Source: Read Full Article