Accused CIA ‘leaker’ subpoenas Mike Pompeo to testify
Lawyers for accused CIA leaker Joshua Schulte have sent 50 subpoenas to current or former employees of the spy agency — including US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo — in what Manhattan prosecutors blasted as an “extraordinary” fishing expedition.
Pompeo previously served as the director of the CIA but didn’t work there at the time Schulte did, according to a letter filed Thursday by US Attorney Geoffrey Berman to Judge Paul Crotty, in arguing why the subpoena targeting Pompeo should not be allowed to go forward.
Schulte is accused of being the mastermind behind the massive WikiLeaks dumps dubbed “Vault 7” and “Vault 8,” stealing confidential documents from the agency to help make them public.
Pompeo was only at the CIA in the aftermath of the leak and thus doesn’t have any “first-hand knowledge of the facts,” Berman said in his letter.
“Although Sec. Pompeo was serving as Director of the CIA on March 7, 2019, when WikiLeaks began the public disclosure of the classified national defense information stolen by the defendant on April 20, 2016, the Government is unaware of any matter relevant to this case as to which Sec. Pompeo has personal knowledge,” Berman wrote.
“While Sec. Pompeo was undoubtedly kept informed about the consequences of the defendant’s crimes and the CIA’s response to secure its systems going forward, he — like virtually all similarly situation high-ranking government officials — received that information through briefings and summaries provided by others, which is quintessential inadmissible hearsay.”
The government slammed the 50 subpoenas, calling the number “extraordinary” and said the “vast majority” of them would not meet the threshold requirements to be considered relevant witnesses.
They also said many of the witnesses work in “particularly sensitive positions, including positions overseas,” and asked for an advanced ruling on the admissibility of their testimony before the agency is forced to “repatriate covert officers for testimony.”
The defense and the court have yet to respond to the letter.
Source: Read Full Article