Husband, 51, battered wife, 45, to death with hammer then called 999 and confessed 'I think I've killed my missus'

A HUSBAND who battered his wife to death with a hammer before calling cops to say “I’ve killed my missus” was today convicted of murder.

John Garner, 51, killed 45-year-old Theresa in the bathroom of their home in Penyffordd, North Wales.

The mum-of-three suffered 16 separate head wounds before Garner dialled 999 and said: “I think I have murdered my missus”.

Cops found Garner covered in blood and found the hammer he used hidden in a nearby garden.

Mold Crown Court heard he became angry after finding a “flirtatious” messages she had sent to ex-boyfriend Stuart Jones, reports Wales Online.


Garner, who appeared drunk when cops found him at his house, admitted killing his wife but denied murder.

However, a jury took less than two hours to find him guilty following an eight-day trial.

John Philpotts, prosecuting, said it was a “sustained and ferocious attack” on October 24 last year.

He said the “countdown” to her death started when she was in contact with Mr Jones – the father of her daughter.


Garner is said to have told an officer “I know what I have done” and “I can only be pushed so far and everybody has a breaking point”.

Mrs Garner’s neighbour Sandra Dunster told the court Garner became agitated after finding the messages on her phone.

She told she read out a text from Mr Jones to Ms Garner, which said: “I want to hold you in my arms and next time I will not let you go.”

Mrs Dunster also described Garner’s “aggressive” behaviour to his wife, who was the mum of his two children.

She added: “I came home one day and saw her nose was bleeding. She said he had punched her to the nose and she was taken by a neighbour to hospital.”

Judge Rhys Rowlands told Garner: “You have been convicted by the jury of the offence of murder which involved you taking away the life of a mother of three children, two of them your own children.”

He said the mum-of-three lost her life in “quite the most horrendous circumstances in her own home”.

Garner will be sentenced next week.

Source: Read Full Article