The fire that led to the death of former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh occurred over a week before he succumbed to injuries

Tony Hsieh

  • Tony Hsieh, the retired CEO of online shoe retailer Zappos, died Friday at the age of 46 following injuries sustained in a fire more than a week ago.
  • Hsieh was injured in a fire on November 18 in New London, Connecticut, a spokesperson for his company confirmed to Insider.
  • The fire was still under investigation as of Saturday, New London Fire Chief Thomas Curcio told Insider.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

Tony Hsieh, the 'visionary' entrepreneur and retired CEO of online shoe retailer Zappos died Friday at the age of 46 after he sustained injuries in a fire that occurred more than a week prior. 

Hsieh died as a result of injuries he sustained during a house fire on November 18 in New London, Connecticut, Insider confirmed in a statement from Megan Fazio, a spokesperson for Hsieh's DTP companies.

Thomas Curcio, the New London, fire chief, told Insider on Saturday he was unable to confirm the identity of the victim in a November 18 fire out of respect for the family. He said there was no new information to share about the cause of the blaze, but pointed Insider toward previously released statements made to local media at the time of the fire.

The incident was still under investigation as of Saturday, Curcio said.

According to a report from The Day, a local newspaper, firefighters were called to 500 Pequot Ave just after 3:30 a.m. on November 18. One person, now believed to be Hsieh, was taken from the home and transported to a local hospital with serious injuries to be treated for "possible burns and smoke inhalation," according to the report.

He was later taken by helicopter to the Connecticut Burn Center at the Bridgeport Hospital in Bridgeport, about 60 miles east of New London. According to a November 18 report from local news station WFSB, the victim in the fire was trapped in the basement of the home before he was rescued by firefighters. 

Curcio told The Day that firefighters forced entry into the home, removed the victim, and performed CPR on him before they transported him to the hospital. 

According to The New York Times, Hsieh was visiting family at the time of the fire, but specific details were not available as of Saturday. According to publicly available property records, the home where the fire occurred was purchased in August by a woman named Rachael Brown. A woman by the same name is a longtime employee of Zappos. 

Brown did not immediately return Insider's request for comment Saturday.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Source: Read Full Article