Baby girl suffers horrific injuries including smashed skull after drunk dad crashes into oncoming car | The Sun

A BABY girl suffered skull fractures after her drunk dad crashed into an oncoming car.

The four-month-old was sitting unsecured on a back seat during the head-on collision in Leicester last year.

Two people in the other vehicle were also injured, with one sustaining a shattered and dislocated elbow.

Driver Richard Hefford was yesterday jailed for two and a half years.

A court heard how the 35-year-old had consumed several beers and a Bacardi and coke before setting off from his home in Kelso Green on August 7.

He drove at almost twice the 20mph limit with his daughter and three women to the beach at Aylestone Meadows at around 7pm.


Brits brace for floods with urgent warnings for torrential rain and travel chaos

Amazon to make major change to jobs with thousands in UK ‘at risk’

When they reached Ambleside Drive, they smashed into an oncoming car, LeicestershireLive reports.

CCTV from a nearby house played during a sentencing hearing at Leicester Crown Court yesterday showed Hefford's silver Vauxhall Corsa travelling at high speed towards a parked car on his side of the road.

It then suddenly pulled out to pass the vehicle, just as a red Audi carrying two friends turned onto the road.

A witness later described hearing a loud bang then seeing a baby in distress with visible swelling to her head.

Most read in The Sun


Strictly feud ‘revealed’ as Hamza unfollows Giovanni


Next to make huge change – and shoppers won’t be happy


Harry says Wills ‘attacked’ him and ripped necklace in bombshell book


Dancing On Ice first look as Love Island & EastEnders superstars join pros

Paramedics rushed the youngster to hospital with two skull fractures, brain haemorrhages, broken ribs and several cut.

She spent 20 days at Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham.

Officers described Hefford as being bare-chested and smelling of alcohol.

The dad-of-three clocked 62 microgrammes per 100ml of breath on a road-side breath-test. The legal limit is 35.

He admitted he had been drinking for about five or six hours before getting in the car.

Hefford pleaded guilty to drink-driving and two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He was jailed for two and a half years and received a 51-month driving ban.

Source: Read Full Article