Brian Laundrie timeline – What Gabby's fiancé did as throttled body lay outside from camping with sister to hitchhiking

BRIAN Laundrie, the fugitive fiance of slain vlogger Gabby Petito, has now been missing for a month.

The 23-year-old reportedly vanished on September 13 after telling his parents he was going hiking in the 24,000-acre Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County, Florida, but failed to return.

His disappearance came two days after Gabby was first reported missing, and 12 days after he quietly returned home to Florida without her on September 1 – just two months into their planned four-month road trip across the US.

Laundrie offered no explanation about where Gabby was and refused to cooperate with police before absconding. His parents also didn't inform police of his disappearance until four days later, on September 17.

Gabby's remains were then found at a campsite near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming on September 19.

The manner of Gabby's death was ruled a homicide and coroner's revealed on Tuesday that she had been strangled to death by "human force", which is otherwise referred to as throttling.

She had also been left out in the wilderness for between three to four weeks, coroners said.

Read our Gabby Petito live blog for the very latest news and updates…

While officials refused to speculate on who they believe murdered Gabby, Laundrie is alleged to have been with her when she was last seen alive on August 27.

He has not yet been named as a suspect in the case but is considered a person of interest. He is also wanted by police for alleged bank fraud after investigators said he used a credit card believed to have belonged to Gabby in late August, racking up charges amounting to $1,000.

A tireless four-week search for Brian has so far failed to yield any concrete leads.

Law enforcement have been focusing their efforts on the Carlton Reserve, while TV star Dog the Bounty Hunter has been conducting his own search in Fort De Soto Park, where Brian had gone camping with his parents before disappearing.

Below is a timeline of Brian's known movements since Gabby was last seen alive:


During a press conference on Tuesday, Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue did not offer a specific date for when he believes Gabby was killed but suggested she had been dead for between three to four weeks when she was found on September 19.

That puts her time of death around the end of August, sometime between August 25 — when she last spoke to her mother over the phone — and August 29, which is exactly three weeks before she was found.

Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt, told the media that she received a text from her daughter's number on August 27, which read: "Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls."

Schmidt, however, said she doesn't believe Gabby sent the "odd" text, as Stan is Gabby's grandfather whom she doesn't refer to by his first name.


Then, between August 30 and September 1, Laundrie allegedly used someone else's Capitol One Bank card and PIN number to make unauthorized withdrawals and charges of more than $1,000.

A later federal indictment didn't specify who the card belonged to, but law enforcement, officials, and members of Petito's family have said in the weeks since that it was Gabby's.

It's currently unclear where the card was used by the date of the charges and withdrawals correspond with Laundrie returning home alone to Florida in the couple's van on September 1.


After returning to his parents' home in North Port, where he once also resided with Gabby, Laundrie failed to raise the alarm that she was missing and stonewalled Petito's parents about where she might be.

He reportedly acted "without a care in the world" upon his return, neighbors said, mowing the front yard and enjoying idyllic bike rides with his mom.

Then, on September 6, Laundrie went camping with his mother and father, Roberta and Chris, for two days in Fort De Soto Park.

Laundrie's sister Cassie, who previously claimed she hadn't seen Brian since his return, also accompanied the trio on their trip.

She told protesters gathered outside of her home last week that "nothing" about Gabby came up during their excursion.


Gabby's mother finally reported her missing on September 11.

Two days later, Brian reportedly bought a burner phone at a local AT&T with an "older woman."

The same day, he reportedly told his parents he was going to hike the T. Mabry Carlton Jr. Memorial Reserve, in Sarasota county.

His parents previously told police he said he was going to Carlton Reserve on September 14, but later revised the date in a statement issued through their attorney.

Then, on September 15, Laundrie was named a person of interest in Petito's case after cops said he was "hindering this investigation" by not cooperating with them.

The following day, law enforcement in Moab Utah released bodycam footage from a domestic violence call-out involving Gabby and Laundrie from August 12.

The couple was pulled over after a witness called 911 claiming to have seen a man strike a woman during an argument before driving off in their van.

The footage showed Petito "crying uncontrollably" throughout her interactions with police. She admits Laundrie did hit her, but only after she struck him first.

Finally, on September 17, four days after he failed to return home from Carlton Reserve, Chris and Roberta Laundrie reported their son missing.

They told police they had gone to the park in search of Brian but only found his car. They decided to drive it home after finding a notice on the windscreen, they claimed.

In a statement to reporters, his lawyer said: "Be advised, the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie are currently unknown.

"The FBI is currently at the Laundrie residence removing property to assist in locating Brian."


After an eight-day search, investigators found remains at the Spread Creek Dispersed Campsite near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, on September 19.

The remains were confirmed to belong to Gabby in a subsequent autopsy report on September 21, in which it was also preliminarily suggested that she had died by homicide.

Two days later, a warrant was issued for Brian's arrest after investigators claimed he had "used unauthorized debit cards after Gabby Petito's death."

The FBI said: “On September 22, 2021, the U.S. District Court of Wyoming issued a federal arrest warrant for Brian Christopher Laundrie."

"The warrant was issued pursuant to a Federal Grand Jury indictment for violation of federal statute 18 U.S.C 1029(a)(1): 'Use of Unauthorized Access Devices' related to Mr Laundrie's activities following the death of Gabrielle Petito.”

FBI Denver Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider then released a statement on Twitter saying: "While this warrant allows law enforcement to arrest Mr Laundrie, the FBI and our partners across the country continue to investigate the facts and circumstances of Ms Petito's homicide.

"We urge individuals with knowledge of Mr Laundrie's role in this matter or his current whereabouts to contact the FBI."


The whereabouts of Brian Laundire still remain unclear four weeks on from the believed date of his disappearance.

Since the case began capturing headlines all across the world, several people have come forward with claims they either interacted with Laundrie in the days after Gabby is believed to have been killed, or spotted him since he vanished.

One TikToker claimed that Laundrie allegedly offered her $200 to give him a ride as he hiked alone at Grand Teton National Park in Colter Bay, Wyoming on August 29.

She also said that the ride was only approximately 10 miles so it struck her as "kind of weird" that he offered to pay her $200.

The woman and her boyfriend ended up dropping Laundrie off at the Jackson Dam after he "freaked out" when they mentioned the name of the area they were driving to.

"He got out, and you know, he was thankful and he was kind of in a hurry. He said he was going to go across the street into the parking lot and find someone else to give him a ride, but, when we looked back 10 or 15 seconds after he got out of the vehicle he was just gone," she said.

The woman reported the interaction to the FBI.

Neighbors of the Laundries also claim they spotted Brian running out of his backyard on the day he was reported missing and into a nearby woods.

A man in the local area claimed to have spotted a man resembling Laundrie nearby around the same time.

Yung Fieri, responding to a Twitter thread on Laundrie's disappearance by ABC anchor Jeff Butera, wrote: “Please share!! YES I CALLED FBI. Neighbors saw what appears to be Brian walking out in the woods behind the home before police arrived! He was even barefoot like we’ve seen!!"

A number of other sightings have also been reported across the US and beyond, including in North Carolina, Canada and Mexico.

One man said he was adamant he'd spoken to Laundrie near the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina at the beginning of October.

So far all of the leads have come up empty and Brian's whereabouts remain unclear.

An investigation into Gabby's murder continues.

Gabby Petito timeline

Gabby Petito, 22, was last seen on August 24, leaving a hotel in Utah. Here is a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:

  • June 2021 – Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie set off on a cross-country trip across the US.
  • July 4 – Gabby posts photos of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
  • July 8 – Gabby posts photos of herself at the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
  • July 18 – Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves at Utah's Zion National Park.
  • August 12 – Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. Police confirmed that no significant injuries were reported.
  • August 19 – Gabby and Brian post a video on their YouTube channel chronicling their trip.
  • August 24 – Gabby is spotted leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
  • August 25 – Gabby Facetimes her mom, Nichole Schmidt, for the final time. In a later police report, Schmidt said her conversations with her daughter revealed "more and more tension" between her and Brian.
  • August 25 – Gabby also posts her last Instagram. No location is given.
  • August 27 – Gabby is seen for what's believed to be the final time. Witnesses claim they saw Brian in an explosive argument with staff at a restaurant in Jackson Hole, leaving Gabby in tears.
  • August 27 – Four hours later, travel bloggers driving through Grand Teton National Park drive past the couple's van "abandoned" on a dirt road.
  • September 1 – Brian returns home to Florida without Gabby.
  • September 11 – Gabby's parents report her missing to Suffolk County police.
  • September 14 – Brian's family issues a statement saying he has retained an attorney and will not be cooperating with investigators.
  • September 14 – Brian is allegedly last seen by his family. He reportedly told them he was going hiking in Cartlon Reserve but failed to return.
  • September 15 – Florida's North Port police announce Brian is a person of interest in the case. He is not charged with any crime.
  • September 16 – Utah police release body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
  • September 17 – Brian's parents say they have not seen their son in a couple of days and report him missing.
  • September 18 – Police announce they were searching Carlton Reserve in Florida for Brian. Police announce they have not found anything.
  • September 19 – Authorities in Wyoming say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. The FBI announces the body was believed to be Gabby's but a full forensic identification needs to be completed first to confirm.
  • September 20 – Police execute a search warrant on Laundrie's home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain "evidence relevant to proving that a felony has been committed."
  • September 21 – Officials announce they will be conducting an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Police also resumed their search for Laundrie, this time on the Venice side of Carlton Reserve.
  • September 21 – The FBI announced the body found in Wyoming was identified as Gabby's. The cause of death was not yet revealed.
  • September 21 – The Teton County Coroner's office said Gabby's official cause of death was still pending but the initial manner of death is homicide.
  • September 22 – Police continue to scour Carlton Reserve for a trace of Laundrie but yield no leads. A specialist dive team is called in to assist with the hunt.
  • September 23 – Officials announced a federal arrest warrant for Brian was issued.
  • September 26 – Gabby's funeral was held on Long Island, New York.
  • October 12: Gabby's autopsy results were made public. Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue confirmed Gabby died by strangulation.


We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.

Like us on Facebook at and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article