MTA bus stuck in Brooklyn brownstone finally removed

More On:


NYC’s hottest new attraction is a bus lodged into a Brooklyn brownstone

Shocking video shows MTA driver lose control of bus, smash into brownstone

Sarah Feinberg tapped as new MTA chair, first woman in the role: official

Bus-ted!: Scott Stringer called out for riding fake MTA bus with kids in ad

The MTA bus that was lodged in a Brooklyn brownstone for four days after a crash — and quickly became a local oddball attraction — was finally removed by workers Friday.

The mangled B49 bus was slowly rolled out of the building at Lincoln Road and Bedford Avenue as people cheered, clapped and whistled. 

The MTA vehicle had hopped the curb at Bedford Avenue and Lincoln Road around 2 p.m. Monday, smashing into the front of a building at the Prospect Lefferts Gardens corner. More than a dozen people had to be hospitalized from the accident.

In the days after, gawkers gathered at the scene to catch a glimpse of the still-lodged bus — which they described as akin to an art installation. 

“[The neighborhood has] been more busy than it has been in the past,” said a local resident who did not want to be identified.

Neighbor Jennifer Rojas added that she thinks the crash has helped strengthen community ties. 

“I think people have come together,” she said. “Like, everybody’s talking, you know.”

The vehicle’s front windshield was completely shattered amid its twisted metal front frame as the bus was pulled from the building. 

The bus driver’s foot had become wedged between the vehicle’s brake and accelerator when the accident happened, officials and transit sources said at the time.

A full vacate order was issued for the building, as it was found to be unsafe to occupy.

Since the crash, contractors began installing shoring to prevent further damage and completed that process earlier Friday before the removal, according to the city Department of Buildings.

“I thought it was going to take longer, actually,” Rojas of the removal.

The bus was taken to a Bronx depot, according to the MTA.

“We are grateful to the Department of Buildings for ensuring the safe removal of our bus,” MTA spokeswoman Meredith Daniels said in a statement. “Our comprehensive investigation is ongoing.”

Engineers with the DOB have not observed any damage to neighboring properties in the aftermath of the crash, a spokesman said. 

Residents are coordinating with the owner’s contractors to remove any remaining personal items from the building, according to the DOB.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article