Richard Sherman's wife Ashley appears with him in court as he pleads not guilty to drunk driving and domestic violence

RICHARD SHERMAN’S wife Ashley held his hand and walked him out of a Washington courtroom after the NFL star pleaded not guilty to five criminal charges including drunk driving and domestic violence. 

The pro athlete appeared at a court hearing on Friday with his wife seated in the gallery and remained poised as the prosecutor ticked off the list of criminal charges from Tuesday's altercation which led to his father-in-law pepper-spraying him after he allegedly tried to break into the home of his wife’s parents.

“We enter a plead of not guilty to all of the charges,” Sherman’s attorney Cooper Offenbecher told King County District Judge Lisa Paglisotti during Friday’s arraignment hearing that was captured on video.

Sherman struck up pleasantries with the prosecutor and then folded his hands and faced the judge and listened attentively to the accusations and requirements of his release. 

The 33-year-old is facing the following charges: driving while under the influence; reckless endangerment of roadway workers; criminal trespass in the second degree – domestic violence; resisting arrest and malicious mischief in the third degree – domestic violence.

Each misdemeanor can be punishable by up to 90 days or possibly one year in jail. 

Among the requirements, he must abide by until his next court date of Aug. 13, Shermanmust driving within a blood-alcohol level of .08, surrender all guns and gun permits, and have no contact with two men – one of them the all-pro athlete’s father-in-law Raymond Moss.

Sherman could be seen shaking his head and nodding when told of the conditions of his release.

He then stood up, buttoned his suit and told the judge sitting behind a plexiglass partition: “Thank you, your honor.”

His wife, Ashley Sherman, then met him and they locked hands as they left the courtroom. 

Prior to his appearance in court, Sherman tweeted an apology for "smashing into his in-laws' home and drink driving."

“I am deeply remorseful for my actions on Tuesday night,” he wrote. 

“I behaved in a manner I am not proud of. 

“I have been dealing with some personal challenges over the last several months, but that is not an excuse for how I acted. 

“The importance of mental and emotional health is extremely real and I vow to get the help I need.”

The NFL free agent’s release comes after he allegedly crashed his car in a construction zone and then footage emerged of Sherman appearing to throw his body into his wife's parents' door, repeatedly baiting his father-in-law Moss.

Moss later told cops that he armed himself with a gun and fired pepper spray as Sherman allegedly tried to knock down the door.

Some reports claim Sherman consumed two bottles of liquor before allegedly smashing up his car and trying to challenge Moss. 

Sherman was seen acting belligerent and had spoke of killing himself when he left his Seattle suburb of Maple Valley home late Tuesday, according to the Associated Press citing a police report. 

His wife, Ashley, called 911 to try plea for the police to intervene.

Sherman allegedly smashed his car on a busy Seattle street that was under construction. 

Workers witnessed him driving at around 60 to 70 MPH, police reported.

Sherman then drove off, with sparks flying off his damaged car to Redmond. 

Abandoning the car at a parking lot, Sherman headed a half-mile to Moss’s home and confronted him from the front door.

“The family began to yell in fear,” Raymond Moss told police officers in the report.

“I used pepper spray on Sherman’s face through the partially opened door as he was still banging and attempting to gain entry.

"I told him to stop. I armed myself with my handgun at this time fearing for the safety of myself and my family.”

Four adults were inside the property at the time but it’s unclear if any children were present.

Sherman didn’t make it into the home, Redmond Police chief Darrell Lowe said on Wednesday.

Police said Sherman was compliant with police officers.

But Sherman's demeanor changed when the officers told him he was being placed under arrest, Lowe explained.

The star reportedly attempted to flee from the officers and then allegedly became physically aggressive with them. 

Officers deployed a K9 unit to get Sherman under control.

Sherman was transported to a hospital after suffering a minor cut to his lower leg as a result of the dog bite.

He was arrested on suspicion of "burglary domestic violence" but was not formally charged.

Sherman played seven seasons with the Seattle Seahawks before joining the San Francisco 49ers in 2018.

After Thursday’s hearing, wife Ashley said: "I love and support my husband. I am committed to helping Richard get the support and care that he needs.

"Richard has always been a loving father and husband. And we are looking forward to seeing him home with his family."

    Source: Read Full Article