Toddler dies after swallowing battery and suffering horrific burns to her throat

A TODDLER who swallowed a battery last month in Texas has died from burns to her throat. 

Reese Hamsmith, who was 17 months old, ingested a battery in November that burned her throat, esophagus, and vocal cords. 

She was transported from University Medical Center in Lubbock, Texas, to Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston and died on Thursday morning, KCBD reported. 

A GoFundMe fundraiser for Reese states “her curiosity got the best of her when she put a little battery in her mouth and swallowed it.”

Reese’s mother and pediatrician initially thought she had croup but her symptoms worsened.

Two days later, the mother discovered a small battery was missing from a remote control and realized that her daughter’s symptoms matched those of battery burns. 

X-rays confirmed that Reese had swallowed the small battery. 

The battery stayed lodged in Reese’s throat for days and had already damaged her throat, esophagus, and vocal cords. 

Reese was a “stinky, outgoing, and sassy” child, the fundraiser states. 

Most read in News


Dad of missing girl is 'suspect in another cold case' after she vanished


New clue in missing girl case as pic from day she disappeared is revealed


My dad's best friend saw him die on a mountain – then married my mum


Moment 'killer who stabbed student, 24, to death' is arrested at bus stop

The girl’s mother, Trista, is a hairstylist, and her father, Chris, owns the Hamsmith Motor Company. 

As of Friday, the fundraiser had garnered more than $37,000 of the $50,000 goal. 

The fundraiser will help the family with medical and other bills and travel expenses to Houston. 

    Source: Read Full Article