Cath Kidston apologises for looking at her phone from behind the wheel
Fashion designer Cath Kidston, 64, apologises to court for looking at her mobile phone behind the wheel of her blue Mercedez Benz while stuck in traffic in Hyde Park
- Cath Kidston entered a guilty plea online and ‘apologised’ in a letter to the court
- Sentencing is adjourned until October when disqualification will be considered
Fashion designer Cath Kidston MBE has apologised to a court for looking at her mobile phone while stuck in a traffic jam in Hyde Park.
The entrepreneur, 64, admitted using a handheld mobile phone while at the wheel of a blue Mercedez Benz on West Carriage Drive on 31 January this year.
Listed as Catherine Isabel Audrey Kidston, the businesswoman, of Notting Hill, did not attend Lavender Hill Magistrates’ Court because she is abroad.
She had entered a guilty plea using the court online system. Sentencing was adjourned until October 18 when disqualification will be considered.
Kidston already had six points on her licence following two previous speeding matters in May 2022 and May 2020.
Fashion designer Cath Kidston MBE (pictured last year) has apologised to a court for looking at her mobile phone while stuck in a traffic jam in Hyde Park on January 31 this year
Cath Kidston (pictured in 2006) had entered a guilty plea using the court online system. Sentencing was adjourned until October 18 when disqualification will be considered
The incident occurred on January 31 this year, Prosecutor Abigail Akano told the court. She said an on-duty officer, wearing full uniform, saw Kidston driving the Mercedes with her mobile in her hand.
‘The defendant had a mobile phone in their hand, in their left hand, the screen was illuminated,’ she said. ‘The defendant was operating the device with her right hand.’
When stopped and spoken to she said she was checking a message on her phone, the court heard.
‘It was pointed out she would be reported for that matter,’ said the prosecutor.
Kidston also sent an email to the court, saying: ‘I admit looking at the phone on the seat. I had been in a long stationary traffic jam and looked at my phone when the traffic started to move. I apologise.’
The fashion designer was awarded an MBE for her services to business in February 2010. She sold her company, Cath Kidston, the same year but remains the company’s creative director.
In 2014 the company sold out of a children’s guards-themed tank top modelled by 17-month-old Prince George.
Source: Read Full Article