Two more tourists suffered mystery illnesses on Dominican Republic trips

More mysterious illnesses are coming out of the Dominican Republic, including a Canadian woman who was “poisoned” by a strange odor in her hotel room that sent her into a terrifying fit of spasms, a report says.

Tina Hammell of Ontario said she stayed three years ago at the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, which is the same chain where three American guests died within a week of each other, CNN reported.

During the second day of the trip, the 49-year-old and her husband, John, returned to their room to take a nap.

But soon the couple awoke to a strange odor. “It smelled like paint,” Tina told the news outlet.

“My throat and nose were on fire,” she said.

She immediately “jumped up and ran outside, coughing and hacking,” according to her husband, who said his throat also “stung bad.”

The couple called the front desk and staffers sprayed what appeared to be a disinfectant, they said.

The pair changed rooms but Tina’s health only grew worse. She became nauseated, covered in sweat, lost her voice and was increasingly struggling to breathe, CNN reported.

When her illness didn’t improve, she went to the resort’s medical center, where she began to convulse, the report said.

“She kept passing out while I was trying to hold her,” John said. “I said, ‘You’re not going to die. You’re not going to die.’”

She was revived by a medic using a defibrillator and transferred to a hospital, where lesions were discovered on her lungs, the couple said.

Upon returning home, Tina saw a doctor, who told her that she could’ve died on the Caribbean island. “You’ve been poisoned, but we don’t know from what,” the physician reportedly told the couple.

A rep for Bahia Principe Hotel & Resorts told The Post that “providing a safe and welcoming environment for travelers stands at the heart of our company values.”

“The safety and comfort of our guests and staff stand at the core of our company values, and we work daily to ensure it,” the statement said. “All our properties in the Dominican Republic hold some of the most prestigious certifications in the industry.”

Hammell’s claims come among a wave of tourists reporting nightmare illnesses while visiting the Caribbean island.

Another tourist, Jade King, said he’s also grateful to be alive after his February visit, news station WALB reported.

“I really thought I was leaving this world because I was really sick,” King told WALB.

King, who is from Albany, Ga., said he flew in February to the tourist destination, where he fell ill after a few drinks. He started suffering vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and lower abdominal pains.

“The night before we left, me, him and another friend had some drinks and about an hour or two into our flight, I passed out,” King said. “The flight attendant was pouring water down my throat.”

King said recent reports of other tourists experiencing similar symptoms after drinking on the island are not a coincidence.

“That’s a trend,” he said.

Source: Read Full Article