Trump supporters chant 'SEND HER BACK' as the president attacks Ilhan Omar at rally in North Carolina
- Supporters of President Donald Trump chanted “SEND HER BACK!” at a rally in Greenville, North Carolina, in reference to Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar.
- The chants came as Trump attacked the Minnesota lawmaker, who was among the four progressive Democrats that Trump went after in racist tweets on Sunday.
- Trump paused and looked on, issuing no rebuke to the crowd.
- Omar, one of the first two Muslim women to ever serve in Congress, was born in Somalia. She became a US citizen when she was 17.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As President Donald Trump attacked Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota at a rally in Greenville, North Carolina, on Wednesday night, his supporters chanted, “SEND HER BACK!”
The chant echoed racist tweets from Trump on Sunday that called on four progressive Democratic lawmakers, including Omar, to “go back” and “help fix the totally broken and crime infested” countries “from which they came.” Three of the lawmakers — Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan — were born in the US.
Omar, one of the first two Muslim women to serve in Congress in US history, was born in Somalia. She fled her native country as a child due to a bloody civil war and spent some time in a refugee camp in Kenya before coming to the US at the age of 10. Omar became a US citizen when she was 17.
As the crowd in Greenville chanted “send her back,” an apparent suggestion that Omar should be sent back to Somalia, Trump paused and looked on. He issued no rebuke to the crowd.
“She looks down with contempt on the hard-working Americans saying that ignorance is pervasive in many parts of this country,” Trump said of Omar before the crowd broke into the chant.
This story is developing. Check back for updates.
Source: Read Full Article